Compensation: $31,510.00 - $49,030.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Hospitality - Food Services
Loading some great jobs for you...
Make an impact as a Head Sommelier at The Modern!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
TheSommelier will work closely with the Wine Director, and Front of the House team in providing superior wine service to all guests.
As a valued member of our team, you will have access to the following benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Annual bonus incentive
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgement- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven t- and creating opportunities others wish they d thought of first
- Pre- and post- shift sidework, monthly inventory, participating in all steps of service as needed in the dining room during the shift, and assisting the wine director in all aspects of the wine program.
- Preferably 3-5 years previous experience at a restaurant with similar service, guest relations, wine program, and operational standards.
- Excellent knowledge of wines and wine service.
- Excellent knowledge of all aspects of dining room service.
- General knowledge of food preparation methods and culinary terminology.
- Ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to assist with organizing the wine cellar, counting monthly inventory and staff wine training.
- Solid foundation of leadership skills
- Basic understanding of the operating systems used on a PC type computer.
- Ability to Lift 40+ lbs.
- Basic Floor Service
- Cellar Organization
- Food & Wine Pairings
- Regional Expertise France
- Regional Expertise Italy
- Regional Expertise Southern Hemisphere
- Regional Expertise Spain / Portugal
- Regional Expertise US
- Understanding of Viticulture & Winemaking
- Wine Knowledge
- Wine Ordering
- Wine Sales Proficiency
This is a great position for someone who is looking to transition into a buying position or has some previous experience with buying. An opportunity to learn more about the operations it takes to create, maintain, and run a wine program of 3,000 plus references. Develop, encourage, and assist in leading a team of 7 sommeliers.
More detail about The Modern part of Union Square Hospitality Group, please visit
Associated topics: ayudante de camarero de bar, bartender, beverage, brewtender, club bartender, cocktail, cocktail service, drink, martini, sommelier
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...